Eight concepts have been selected as finalists out of the more than 1,700 submissions to the Electrolux Design Lab 2013 competition.
Offering solutions in the areas of Social Cooking, Effortless Cleaning and Natural Air, the concepts show inspiring, creative and surprising views on the future of urban home environments. The winner of the competition will be chosen from the top eight finalists, who will present their concepts to a jury in Stockholm, Sweden on October 16 2013.
The finalist concepts chosen are varied in their creative approach and global in their origin; A 3D food printer by Luiza Silva from Brazil, a cleaner with flying nano-robots by Adrian Perez Zapata from Colombia, a food nutrition scale and map by Janne Palovuori from Finland, a shape transforming vacuum cleaner by Germain Verbrackel from France, a breathing wall air cleaner by Jeabyun Yeon from Korea, a fashionable air purifying and scenting necklace by Wei Kiat Law from Singapore, a food stock and diet manager by Francisco Barboza Grasa from Spain and a hologram cooking appliance by Dawid Dawod from Sweden. See the finalist concepts come to life in videos at electroluxdesignlab.com and youtube.com/user/electrolux.
Chief Design Officer and head of Jury Stefano Marzano comments on the finalist concepts:
“The theme of this year’s Electrolux Design Lab competition is ‘Inspired Urban Living’ as we discuss visions and inspiration which delight us and lift up our everyday lives in the future home environment. Out of 1,700 submissions we chose eight thought-provoking and creative finalist concepts, which represent a broad selection of inspirational concepts for cooking, cleaning and air cleaning, in a way which offers solutions based on true needs, yet surprise us with their propositions of the way our future lives are experienced.”
Awards, People’s Choice vote and #futurehome competition
First prize will be awarded to the student that the judging panel highlights as having creating a ground-breaking design solution of the future. This student will receive 5,000 Euros and a six-month paid internship at an Electrolux global design centre. Second prize is 3,000 euros and third prize is 2,000 euros. The student whose concept receives the most public votes online will be named the winner of the People’s Choice Award and will receive a prize of 1,000 euros.
The public can vote for their favorite finalist concept at the Design Lab website and also take part in a competition where they can win a unique culinary experience. After choosing their favorite, the vote can be shared in Twitter by telling why this concept is something they would like to have in their homes in the future. The tweets with the most creative and convincing answers will have the chance to win a unique experience in a restaurant with Electrolux appliances. Electrolux has a 90 year history of making kitchen facilities for top-chefs around the world and nearly half of the European restaurants with a Michelin star feature Electrolux appliances.
Read more about the Design Lab 2013 finalists, see videos, vote for People’s Choice and take part in the #futurehome competition at electroluxdesignlab.com. You can also see the finalist videos at the Electrolux YouTube channel: youtube.com/user/electrolux Hi-res images of the finalist concepts can be found at Flickr: flickr.com/photos/electrolux-design-lab
Electrolux Design Lab 2013 Top 8 finalists
- 3F – Germain Verbrackel – France, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/3f-vacuum-cleaner/
- Breathing Wall – Jeabyun Yeon – Korea, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/breathing-wall/
- Nutrima – Janne Palovuori – Finland, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/nutrima/
- OZ-1 – Wei Kiat Law – Singapore, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/cigarette-smoke-remover-oz-1/
- Kitchen Hub – Francisco Barboza Grasa – Spain / Italy, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/kitchen-hub-smart-eating/
- Mab – Adrian Perez Zapata – Colombia, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/mab/
- Global Chef – Dawid Dawod – Sweden, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/global-chef/
- Atomium – Luiza Silva – Brazil, http://electroluxdesignlab.com/en/submission/atomium/
Learn more about Design Lab in Electrolux social media channels
- Design Lab website for information and submissions: electrolux.com/electroluxdesignlab
- YouTube: youtube.com/user/electrolux
- Facebook: facebook.com/Electrolux
- Twitter: twitter.com/Electrolux
- Flickr: flickr.com/photos/electrolux-design-lab
- Pinterest: pinterest.com/electrolux
For further information
Please contact: Electrolux Press Hotline, +46 8 657 65 07.