Electrolux has once again convinced the prestigious red dot design award jury, resulting in eleven products receiving the desired red dot hallmark of quality for product design.
This year, 1,800 companies and designers from 58 countries registered to take part in the 2012 red dot design award. The award, held by The Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen in Essen, Germany, is one of the largest and most significant design competitions in the world. In total, over 4,500 submissions were received for 19 design categories.
The jury assessed criteria such as degree of innovation, functionality, self-explanatory quality and ecological compatibility to determine which of the submitted products would be granted an award.
Five Electrolux products were awarded the red dot for outstanding product design:
- Electrolux Cyli hoods. Shaped like a hanging lamp, this hood takes into consideration studies of how people use hoods in their homes today. Its design highlights the fact that hood lights are often the most important illumination tool in the kitchen during socializing or mealtimes. The hood’s cylindrical shape is supported by a clear look in stainless steel, white or black.
- Electrolux Infinite induction hobs. The hobs offer all the benefits of induction technology and intuitive control. The design was inspired by the distinctive, pure shapes of ancient dishes from Asia but incorporates a more Scandinavian feel in its sleek shape and glass on two sides of the hob.
- AEG Lavamat TL washing machines. With its OptiSense system, the energy efficient top loader automatically choses the right amount of water, energy and time needed for each load. This makes the washing process gentler and keeps clothes looking newer, longer.
- AEG Competence cookers. The spacious cooker offers plenty of innovative functions, combining the advantages of a cooker with a steam oven. The intuitive Display with Touch Control automatically shows the functions, time and temperature, helping to keep track of the cooking process. High-quality materials such as stainless steel and glass give the cooker a pure look.
- AEG MaxiSense Pure Hobs and AEG Maxisense TripleBridge hobs: Pans of any shape can be placed on nearly any spot on the hobs. The size of a cooking zone is automatically adjusted to match the dimensions of cookware used, as long as they touch the cross marked on the elegant glass ceramic surface. The integrated Direct Control element offers maximum control when cooking.
Three Electrolux products received the “honorable mention” award distinguishing exceptional details:
- AEG Gas on Glass hobs. The high-quality hobs combine efficient gas burners, modern LED lighting and an elegant design. With its easy-to-clean glass surface, its safety features and its electronic ignition, the appliance signifies state of the art usability.
- AEG Arctis Built-in freezers. The A++ energy efficiency rating and the NoFrost technology of the Arctis freezers allow flexible and highly-efficient freezing without having to defrost. The appliance is especially easy to operate thanks to the exterior LC display with touch controls. The transparent freezer drawers and the glass shelves are easy to remove and convenient to clean.
- AEG Santo Built-in fridge-freezers, AEG Santo Built-in fridges and AEG Santo KG fridge-freezers. Due to their high energy-efficiency rating and modern functions like Frostmatic, Coolmatic and NoFrost, all Santo appliances are environmentally and financially gentle. The freestanding models are available with high-quality fronts in elegant black, or in brushed stainless steel with an easy-to-clean, anti-fingerprint coating.
Presentation of the red dot winners
The best design achievements in the 2012 red dot design award will be officially presented to the general public at the red dot gala in the Aalto Theater in Essen on July 2, 2012. More than 1,200 guests from all over the world are expected to attend. The winning products can also be viewed in an online exhibition on the red dot website. They will also be published in the 2012 red dot design yearbook.
For further information
Contact Electrolux Media Hotline on +46 8 657 65 07.