A clear consumer focus sets us apart
Taste, Care & Wellbeing Innovation
Product development focuses on three clear areas:
great tasting food, care for clothes and healthy wellbeing in the home.
Why is this important?
All product development at Electrolux aims to give consumers the best possible experience when using Electrolux products. We are more likely to achieve this with a strong focus on clear consumer areas and a focused product portfolio. A relevant offering drives growth, mix and improves margins.
- Innovative product portfolio as a result of 3.2% of sales invested in focused R&D efforts. New product generations under the AEG and Frigidaire brands have been launched in 2017 and 2018. An extensive product pipeline, including laundry and kitchen products under the Electrolux brand, professional products and cordless vacuum cleaners, will be launched in the coming years.
- Clear understanding of consumer relevance. Consumer insight has for many years been the focus for product development in the Group by performing home visits and usability labs. The new AEG laundry range in Europe is one example of outstanding consumer experience ratings.
- Focused product portfolio. In recent years the portfolio has been streamlined, with the number of product variants and product categories decreasing, leading to both cost benefits and increased success rates. In North America the number of product variants was reduced by approximately 50% at the end of 2018 compared to mid-2017.
- Focused R&D efforts give Electrolux an edge in comparison with multi-category players. Emphasis on what the products can achieve for consumers is an advantage over those competitors who focus more on technical features.
- Taste innovation included the new SenseProbe induction hob with sous-vide and a world first wireless and battery-less probe, that provides precise and automated assistance when cooking. Innovations in food preservation included the AEG UltraFresh+ fridge-freezer, which combines flexible, intuitive storage with smart cooling technology that automatically regulates the perfect environment for food.
- Care innovation included the development of a new sensor system that enables tumble dryers to sense when clothes are just enough dry.
- Wellbeing innovation included the groundbreaking cordless vacuum cleaner Electrolux Pure F9 that uses powerful battery technology and innovative design to provide a product that combines the performance of a traditional vacuum cleaner with the freedom of a stick vacuum.