Make the home a healthier place to thrive in, with half the carbon footprint
We offer consumers air, water and floor products and solutions that enable healthier homes with reduced environmental impact.
- The Pure 4X water purifier by Electrolux Latin America reduced the plastic in each product by 27% and each filter provides 3,000 liters of purified water, effectively saving 6,000 half-liter plastic bottles.
- The Electrolux 800 Cordless cleaner uses over 50% recycled plastics, and has a replaceable battery and an auto mode for optimized energy consumption.
Make the home a healthier place to thrive in, with half the carbon footprint
By leveraging adaptive technologies, new business models and inspiration for smarter consumer habits, we aim to create spearhead solutions by 2030 that contribute to healthier homes with half the carbon footprint. By fast-tracking the rollout of these solutions in all markets, we will enable more people to sustainably benefit from comfortable temperatures as well as clearner air, water and surfaces.
Roadmap to 2030
- Inspire better home care habits by providing smart and connected solutions that actively guide consumers toward more sustainable habits in caring for their home.
- Work to increase awareness of issues around air and water hygiene, to ensure that solutions are effective and broadly accessible.
- Continue to provide innovation that makes it possible for consumers to reduce the carbon footprint during product usage – to bridge the gap between the need for comfort and care for the planet.
The case for action
More than 90% of the world's population lives in places where air quality exceeds World Health Organization's guideline limits.1) Therefore, controlling air quality indoors where we spend most of our time is becoming increasingly important.
According to our consumer research summarized in our Better Living Report, four out of five of our consumers mention air quality and cleanliness as two of the most important factors for wellbeing at home. However, only 39% of people feel empowered to improve their indoor air quality.
The growing need for temperature control appliances in the world and in emerging markets in particular, is increasing global energy use and carbon emissions. The number of air conditioners in use is expected to increase from 1.2 billion today to 4.5 billion by 2050, which would increase emissions 90% by 2050 compared with 2017 levels if no action is taken.
Electrolux has an important role to play in providing consumers with products and solutions that promote health and wellbeing in the home with less environmental impact.
Inspiring more sustainable habits in caring for your home
We will continue to develop resource efficient solutions for air, water and floor hygiene and to actively guide our consumers toward the more sustainable usage of our products.
Through innovation, we will continue to advance our smart solutions – such as air monitoring or robot vacuum cleaning – and we'll explore new ways to connect with and customize such products through functionalities and circular business models for individually adaptable systems.
Pioneering knowledge and new standards for healthier home environments
As a domestic appliance sustainability leader, we are in a unique position to drive societal change that could improve the home environment for people around the world. We will engage with researchers and drive industry standards, while raising awareness on the issues of indoor air, water heating and floor hygiene. We will also share our knowledge and expertise to encourage more sustainable habits and solutions.
Enabling wellbeing at home with reduced environmental impact
While heating and cooling appliances support consumer health and wellbeing in the home environment, we must work to minimize their impacts on the environment. We work to make them more resource efficient and to raise consumer awareness on optimized usage. At the same time, we will continue to innovate to ensure we bring intuitive products and solutions into more homes - to help consumers use our products more sustainably.
- Connecting with end consumers may require a technological and even legal evolution in some markets.
- Increasing the adoption of new innovations in more sustainable heating and cooling technology solutions in markets with limited ambitions.
The progress on our Goal
How we measure progress
We measure our progress in terms of new products, solutions and partnerships to make the indoor environment healthier and more sustainable.
Our products can make homes healthier by removing unwanted substances from air, water and floors. They can also empower consumers to live more sustainably by enabling them to use less resources such as energy, water and materials in their homes.
In 2021, we sharpened and refined the overall sustainability ambition for this Goal in terms of carbon footprint, business models and communication with consumers. We added a measurable number to the target to further enhance our commitment to sustainability.
In the coming years, we will develop a Wellbeing Index to measure progress toward our goal. It will go beyond standard measurements as it will focus on how users actually use our products and solutions.
Solutions for healthier and more sustainable homes
We offer various consumer air, water and floor products and solutions that can make the indoor environment healthier and enable consumers to care for it more sustainably. For example:
- Well A7 air purifier – designed to blend into any environment it enhances and measures indoor air quality. The fabric of the purifier is made from recycled PET.
- Pure 4X water purifier – a new generation of cooling water purifier developed by Electrolux Latin America. The slim design reduced plastic in each product by 27%. A single Pure 4X filter provides 3,000 liters of purified water, effectively saving 6,000 half-liter plastic bottles.
- Electrolux 800 Cordless cleaner – has a replaceable battery, an auto mode for optimized energy consumption and a durable long-life motor. All new cannister models have above 50% recycled plastics and the packaging has no single use plastic.
Raising consumer awareness
Better informing consumers can help them make their indoor environment healthier while reducing environmental impacts:
- Product guidance – products are issued with instructions on how consumers can prolong the life of our wellbeing products, their maintenance and consumables.
Collaborating with other partners can amplify our contribution to promoting healthier and more sustainable homes. For example, we partner through:
- UN Cool Coalition initiative – as part of the initiative, we will replace all high-impact greenhouse gases in all our appliances with more sustainable alternatives by 2023 at the latest.
- United for Efficiency – working with other global companies and the United Nations to help more countries implement product efficiency standards.
|Roadmap to 2030||Next steps||Status|
|Inspire better home care habits by providing solutions that actively guide consumers toward more sustainable habits in caring for their home.||We will continue to develop solutions that enable and inspire consumers to more sustainable home care habits.|
|Work to increase awareness of issues around air and water hygiene, to ensure that solutions are effective and broadly accessible.|
We will continue to raise awareness of air and water hygiene issues.
We will continue to leverage cross-industry collaboration within the "wellbeing" product context.
|Continue to provide innovation that makes it possible for consumers to reduce environmental impact during usage – to bridge the gap between the need for comfort and care for the planet.|
We will continue to innovate to enable consumers to reduce their environmental impact.
We will strengthen partnerships with our suppliers to ensure a common drive toward reduced environmental impact.
- On track
- Additional effort is required
- Off track
- Work has not yet begun