Make clothes last twice as long with half the environmental impact
- Better solutions
- Better company
- Better living
- For the better 2020 Results
We can further contribute to more sustainable laundry practices by incorporating innovative solutions that increase laundry efficiency and improve garment care. We can also promote modern laundry habits and change consumer perceptions of clothes for the better.
Electrolux has the objective to make clothes last longer and reduce the environmental impact of garment care while caring for all fabrics.
Read more about our progress on this Promise
The progress on our promise
How we measure progress
We are in the process of developing this new promise and how we measure our progress in terms of new products, solutions, campaigns and partnerships to promote more sustainable garment care.
Products and solutions for better garment care
We offer a variety of washing machines and driers that help consumers to take better care of their clothes – to make them last longer while reducing environmental impact. Recent examples include:
- ColourCare washing machines – our ColourCare system treats the water in a way that optimizes the detergent even in cold water. Washing in cooler temperatures helps clothes retain their color for longer and reduces energy use.
- SteamCare washing machines – the SteamCare system allows consumers to refresh their clothes when they do not need a full wash, which uses over 90% less water compared to a complete washing cycle. By reducing wrinkles it also decreases the need for ironing, which together with avoiding unnecessary washing, contributes to making clothes last longer.
- CycloneCare driers – the CycloneCare system includes innovative 3DSense technology, which scans deep into fabrics to ensure accurate drying. The technology prevents over drying and maintains the appearance and thermal insulation in down jackets up to 30% better than air drying for example.
- DelicateCare driers – our DelicateCare system adapts the temperature and drum movement to suit specific fabrics, which means that even wool keeps its shape and waterproof garments retain their function.
Guiding consumers on fabric care
We engage with consumers to help them to look after their clothes in the best possible way. For example:
- My Electrolux app with Care Advisor – the app for mobile devices advises consumers on the best way to wash their particular clothing items to help prevent damaging fabrics. Care Advisor considers the kind of clothes and stains, and sends the optimal wash program and detergents directly to the washing machine.
Garment care campaigns
We run campaigns to inspire consumers to better care for their clothes and reduce water use. For example:
- Make it last – designed to inspire consumers to better care for their clothes to give them a longer life. The campaign was our first pan-regional campaign and includes branded websites with inspiration and care tips for consumers to modernize their laundry habits and choose more sustainable options. Make it last is built on our knowledge and the specific innovations available in our various markets.
- 50L home – a partnership between global brands and NGOs launched in October 2020. The initiative aims to reimagine how we use water in our homes to inspire and enable lifestyle changes while advancing solutions to address water efficiency, reuse and even removal in some cases. It aims to instill the importance of responsible water consumption and to make 50 liters of daily water use per person a reality. Read more on the 50L Home campaign website.
|Roadmap 2020 to 2030||Next steps||Status|
|Help consumers maximize the life of their clothes and help them better care for their clothes in general.||Continue to deliver products, solutions and campaigns that help consumers take better care of their clothes.||dot2|
|Assist in reducing environmental impact during garment care.||Continue to deliver products, solutions and campaigns that help consumers to reduce the environmental impact of their laundry behavior.||dot2|
Additional effort is required
Work has not yet begun
Electrolux is a leading global appliance company that has shaped living for the better for more than 100 years. We reinvent taste, care and wellbeing experiences for millions of people around the world, always striving to be at the forefront of sustainability in society through our solutions and operations. Under our brands, including Electrolux, AEG and Frigidaire, we sell approximately 60 million household products in approximately 120 markets every year. In 2019 Electrolux had sales of SEK 119 billion and employed 49,000 people around the world.
S:t Göransgatan 143
SE-105 45 Stockholm, Sweden