We are creating ever more efficient, high-performance appliances, which help consumers to live better lives, save money and reduce their environmental footprint.
Electrolux will continuously improve the energy and water performance of our appliances, raising the bar for product efficiency around the world.
Roadmap 2020 to 2030
- Be a leader in product efficiency for key product categories and markets by 2030.
- Continue to develop products with good environmental performance, with a focus on energy and water efficiency.
- Continue to drive the market for efficient products through awareness-raising consumer campaigns and by integrating sustainability into the Group’s brands.
The case for action
Tackling climate change by reducing greenhouse gases is one of the greatest, most urgent challenges facing society. At the same time, demand for water is set to increase by as much as 40% by 2030, meaning that a billion more people will live in places where water can no longer be taken for granted.
Efficient appliances can help with these issues, by saving energy and water throughout their lifespan. As product energy use is responsible for over 80% of our climate impact, product energy efficiency is where we can make our greatest contribution to tackling climate change. In terms of water use, our dishwashers can make a difference as they are more water efficient than washing dishes by hand.
Product generation planning
Product efficiency targets and KPIs are integrated into our product generation planning – supported by an analysis of the regulatory landscape, energy labeling, market position and energy-efficiency improvements. We strive to be a market leader in product efficiency in all our key categories and markets, and we set our product performance targets accordingly. Our individual product efficiency targets are also designed to contribute toward our climate targets.
In our reporting, we measure the proportion of sales volumes and gross profit from our most resource efficient products in main markets compared with our global offering. Our most resource efficient products in 2020 included washing machines that met the European A+++ energy rating. We have a clear follow-up methodology for energy and water performance that allows us to track progress against our goals.
We also track the life time CO2 impact and the reduction in emissions from upgrading appliances with more energy efficient technologies.
Product efficiency innovation
This promise is embedded in the Group’s R&D processes through defined targets. We are also exploring efficiency opportunities related to digitalization and connectivity by developing smart appliances to measure consumer behavior or connect to a smart grid to optimize energy use.
- Raising consumer awareness of the benefits of using more efficient products – particularly in markets without energy labels.
- With already high product efficiency in Europe, the cost of further product improvements is increasing as the potential new efficiency savings reduce.
- Various energy efficiency standards around the world make it difficult to apply worldwide best practice.