The Electrolux Restricted Materials List specifies the chemicals that we classify as “banned”, “restricted” and “substances of concern”.Read more
Improve product performance and efficiency
We are creating ever more efficient, high-performance appliances, which help consumers and customers to live better lives, save money and reduce their environmental footprint.
Electrolux will improve the energy and water performance of our appliances, raising the bar for product efficiency around the world.
The roadmap to 2020
- Be a leader in product efficiency in our most important markets by 2020
- Continue to develop products with good environmental performance, with focus on energy efficiency
- Continue to drive the market for efficient products through awareness-rising customer and consumer campaigns
The case for action
Tackling climate change by reducing greenhouse gases is one of the greatest, most urgent challenges facing society. At the same time, demand for water is set to increase by as much as 40% by 2030, meaning that a billion more people will live in places where water can no longer be taken for granted.
Efficient appliances can help with these issues, by saving energy and water throughout the lifespan of the appliances. Efficient dishwashers for example are more water efficient than washing dishes by hand. Product energy use is responsible for over 80% of our climate impact, product energy efficiency is where we can make our greatest contribution to tackling climate change.
Product efficiency targets and KPIs are integrated into our product generation planning – supported by an analysis of the regulatory landscape, energy labeling, market position and energy-efficiency improvements. We strive to be a market leader in product efficiency in all our main markets, and we set our product performance targets accordingly. Our individual product efficiency targets are also designed to contribute toward our 50% climate reduction targets.
In our reporting, we measure sales volumes and gross profit from our Green range in main markets compared with our global offering. Our Green Range includes our most energy and water efficient products.
Besides product efficiency innovation, we are also exploring efficiency opportunities related to digitalization and connectivity. For example, the potential for smart appliances to measure consumer behaviour or connect to a smart grid to optimize energy use.
This promise is embedded in the Group’s R&D processes through defined targets and KPIs for each major product category where efficiency standards exist. We have a clear follow-up methodology for energy and water performance that allows us to track progress against our goals.
- Credible communication of leading product performance to consumers in markets without energy labels
- With efficiency levels already high in Europe, the cost of further product improvements is increasing, while the absolute efficiency savings that are achievable reduce
- Various energy efficiency standards around the world make it difficult to apply worldwide best practice
Engaging in dialogue directly with consumers on the value of using appliances optimally and efficiently will help us overcome these challenges.